Archive

Nadine

Sunday 30 November 2008

The most hilarious thing happened the other day.

Well, actually it was a couple weeks ago, but the hilarity factor prevails so I deemed it a tale worth telling. One of my students, who goes by the English name of Aaron, had learned a new word that he wanted to tell me about. A high level student with rather good English and a knack for discovering preferably bizarre lexical items, he announced his findings at the beginning of a Saturday afternoon conversation class where a group of 10 or so students plus me just sit in the lounge and have a chat. So Aaron comes up to me and says, “Nana, I have a new word!”
I says, “Great, what is it?”
He goes, “E.D. Do you know what that is?”
“E.D.? Never heard of that- what's it supposed to be?”

Without so much as a flinch but visibly proud, he says, “Erectile dysfunction. I found it on a medical website.”

While I was sitting there with my mouth open trying to figure out just how this guy keeps coming up with this stuff, Aaron proceeded to tell the rest of the group about his discovery, producing a few giggles and more open mouths.

So much for part one of the story. Now part two involves our only senior student, a gentleman well beyond fifty who calls himself Uncle Liu. The former owner of a couple of companies, Uncle Liu is wealthy in wisdom, experience, and the desire to express himself. A very nice guy, just sometimes a bit hard to handle in class with all his questions and remarks.

Having attended Saturday's conversation class, on Sunday Uncle Liu happened to meet for the first time a colleague of mine. This teacher hails from South Africa and is called Edmund, or Ed for short. (Can you guess what happened?)

The polite and chatty fellow that he is, Uncle Liu introduced himself and asked my colleague for his name. Ed, of course, said, “Ed.” Like all Chinese students, Uncle Liu went, “How to spell?”

“E. D.”

A couple minutes later, a very confused Edmund comes into the office and says, “Guys, in your classes, was there anything said about an erection or something?”

Priceless. Absolutely.


Bis dann,


Nadine


By the way, my flat is still there and intact after Friday's “Thanksgiving” party. About 25 or so people managed to cram into my place and consumed mountains of Chinese food (and my very own Greek salad) as well as a good bit of beer and mulled wine. And to the reader who asked (thank for your interest!)- on Friday I opted for a card-stroke-drinking game, but we have played Truth or Dare Jenga many times at the school. In fact, I've had to propose marriage to a colleague of mine after managing to collapse that evil, shaky tower. Just your every day business at EF, really.






No comments: